I am excited to announce that I have begun the Doctorate of Musical Arts program at Conservatory of Music at University of Missouri-Kansas City. In August, I moved to Kansas City for the 2011-2012 school year to pursue this program.
I was also named an Adjunct Instructor of Oboe, responsible for teaching Oboe Techniques course, and assisting with the UMKC oboe studio.
I’m back to blogging, after a long hiatus from updating this website. While I’ve been playing many concerts and teaching a lot of lessons in the past year, I had many other things that took priority over updating this site.
Now, I’m ready to update the site with new performances, teaching information and advice. Please bear with me as I update many links and add more content.
On January 9, the Great Lakes Woodwind Quintet conducted a Chamber Music Seminar at North Farmington High School.
The focus of the chamber music seminar was to help high school musicians with preparing chamber music. In addition to highlighting good music choices for the skill level of a small ensemble, the GLWQ facilitated discussions and demonstrated how to rehearse efficiently, how to communicate effectively, and how to negotiate respectfully. Several excellent NFHS ensembles performed and were coached by GLWQ members.
Specialty Stores for the Oboist
These retailers specialize in providing music and supplies for doublereed instrumentalists. Owned and operated by oboists or bassoonists, these shops keep an outstanding supply of specialty items and hard-to-find music that local stores can’t offer. When considering purchasing oboe supplies, make sure to check out these stores that cater to our fellow oboists!
- Charles Double Reed Company: all oboe-related supplies, including tools, reedcases, and music.
- Carlos E. Coelho Woodwinds: one of the best instrument repairmen in the business! Based in Indianapolis, Carlos also sells high-quality new and used instruments and some accessories.
- Edmund Nielsen Woodwinds: all oboe-related supplies, including tools, reedcases, and music.
- Forrests Double Reed Specialists: all oboe-related supplies, including tools, reedcases, and music.
- Gail Waarnar Doublereed Shop: a great resource for oboe music!
- Hodge Products: all oboe-related supplies, including tools, reedcases and music.
- Ko Kaiden Woodwind Repair: located in Ypsilanti, Michigan, Ko is a fine oboist and outstanding repairman.
- Mark Chudnow Woodwinds: all oboe-related supplies, including tools, reedcases and music.
- McFarland Doublereed Shop: CDs and supplies
- Midwest Musical Imports: all oboe-related supplies, including tools, reedcases and music.
- OboeChicago: Shawna has a great supply of new and used oboes.
- The Reedmaker Reed Shop: oboist Kerry Willingham makes some of the best reeds I’ve ever tried.
- TrevCo-Varner Music: the world’s largest retailer of solo and chamber music for doublereed players. They have – or can find – any music, books, or related information if it involves any double reed instrument! Owned by professional bassoonist Eric Varner, and staffed by professional oboists and bassoonists.
- RDG Woodwinds, Inc.: all oboe-related supplies, including tools, reedcases and music.
Several of my favorite retailers of supplies are listed in the following article: Note-able Detroit are Music Resources.
If you’re looking to purchase an instrument, check out this article with tips and suggestions on what to look for.